Heather
I love to read, I really do but I only usually read one type of genre- mystery/thriller. Now a lot of these mystery/thrillers are also "romantic suspense". To give you an idea of what types of books I mean- read anything by Lisa Jackson or Beverly Barton.

The thing that pisses me off about romantic suspense is that the relationship between the heroine of the book and male character who is usually A. detective, B. old friend of the family, C. the bad boy of the town, is just so fake. Here is how it usually plays out

1. Female is being stalked, tormented etc...
2. Enter male to aid female
3. He is there to help female but she doesn't want it usually because
A. She has been hurt in the past
B. She's uber independent and who needs men?
C. She is emotionally damaged
4. Female is rude and bitchy to male and vice versa. However they are secretly attracted to one another
5. Female gets scared because of #1 and she gradually lets male in.
6. They get closer and have mind blowing sex- so mind blowing that the world could explode and they wouldn't know it.
7. They regret it and go back to being bitchy with each other
8. Female is usually kidnapped by bad man who is stalking her
9. Male saves the day
10. Female and male decide to get married or else the female is already pregnant from their one night of passion

Yes folks, that is usually how it all plays out, some things are changed but the male/female relationship is always the same. Event though I know this and it drives me nuts I continue to buy these books. If there is one thing I hate it is predictable fiction.
1 Response
  1. Kristin Says:

    You have figured out the formula!!!


Post a Comment